11th Annual Spring House Walk:
Elegant Estates of Oak Park
The Historical Society of Oak Park and River Forest will put the spotlight on six unique, architecturally significant homes in the famous Frank Lloyd Wright- Prairie School of Architecture Historic District. The interiors of these private homes will be opened for tours for only four hours, thanks to the generosity of these Oak Park residents who are supporting their local Historical Society.
Advanced registration has closed.
Pick up and purchase tickets for $35 tomorrow (May 4) only at the Oak Park Art League, 720 Chicago Ave. Local artist Carol Richardson O’Brien will demonstrate the art of house portraiture throughout the day at the Art League and ticket purchasers can tour the gallery. Parking available along Chicago and Oak Park Avenues. All houses are located within easy walking distance of one another. Please be careful not to block driveways and be respectful of the neighbors in the area. Thank You!
Elegant Estates of Oak Park is the theme for the Historical Society’s 11th Annual interior walking tour from 1 to 5 p.m. on May 4. This year’s tour features six sumptuous homes that were built between 1905 and 1924 in the Fair Oaks subdivision, located north of Chicago Avenue between Oak Park and Ridgeland avenues. Commonly called Oak Park’s Estate Section, this area of the FLW Historic District features oversized lots and homes designed by regionally and nationally significant architects like Tallmadge and Watson, E. E. Roberts, Frederick Schock and others who designed many structures influenced by the Arts and Crafts movement and with architectural designs in both the Prairie Style and various Revival Styles like Tudor Revival and Mediterranean Revival.
After the walk, stop by Winberie's Restaurant & Bar (151 N. Oak Park Ave. in Oak Park). Show them your program to receive 10% off your order. Click on the above image to visit Winberie's website.
The homes featured on May 4 are:
· The 1924 Charles S. Castle House, designed by Frederick Schock, perhaps the premier architect of Chicago’s Austin neighborhood;
· The Ashley C. Smith House, designed by Tallmadge & Watson in 1908 with a stucco exterior and featuring stellar interior art glass panels and original woodwork;
· Tallmadge & Watson also designed the 1906 Barrett Andrews House, with its distinctive wood exterior siding and inviting open porch;
· The 1908 Charles Schwerin House, designed by Oak Park’s own prolific E.E. Roberts, filled with vintage glass light fixtures, a tile mosaic floor, and four different patterns of art glass that ornament the windows and interior doors.
· The massive Tudor Revival George W. Hayden House built in 1905, which features Arts and Craft influences;
· The 1909 Anton J. Johnson House. Designed by William Gibb, a home with distinctive cupolas on its roofline and a striking Arts and Crafts interior.
*Two of the six homes have been extensively renovated and restored in 2013, making this the first time the public has been invited to see the new interiors*
Children under 12 are not admitted on the walk, our apologies.
Scroll down to view current photos, historical photos, and drawings of houses on the tour.
current photograph photograph circa 1915 architectual drawing circa 1915
current photograph photograph circa 1950s