The Historical Society of Oak Park and River Forest is located at the Pleasant Home, 217 Home Avenue
in Oak Park.
Designed in 1897 by noted Prairie Style architect George W. Maher for investment banker and philanthropist John W. Farson, Pleasant Home is one of the earliest and most distinguished examples of the Prairie School of Architecture.
After John Farson's death in 1910, the estate was purchased by Herbert Mills, owner of Mills Novelty Company, which manufactured coin operated gambling and music machinery in Chicago.
The Mills family sold the home and its five-acre grounds to the Park District of Oak Park in 1939, to create Mills Park. Today, the historic property is still owned by the Park District of Oak Park.
Through the decades, the park and its mansion have had various community uses. In 1970, The Historical Society of Oak Park and River Forest moved into a bedroom on the second floor and today the organization leases all of the second and third floors from the Park District of Oak Park.
Pleasant Home was designated a National Historic Landmark in June 1996.